Monday, 10 December 2018
chiang-saen-national-museum-by-wiki-01

Photo : commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_National_Museum_in_Chiang_Saen.jpg

Chiang Saen District Route 110, then 1016

About 60 kilometres from Chiang Rai, Chiang Saen is a small town on the bank of the Mekong River. The ruins of the earthen city walls and temples that scattered throughout the town are existing proofs of the Chiang Saen kingdom and thus are worth visiting especially for those interested in history.

 

Chiang Saen National Museum

The museum, located near the old city walls, is famous for its invaluable Buddha images and artefacts of the Chiang Saen Kingdom which flourished in the 11th and 12th centuries.

Admission Fee : 100 baht

Open : 09.00-16.00 hrs., except Mondays, Tuesdays and national holidays

 

Wat Phra That Chedi Luang

Located next to the museum, this ancient temple features the tallest pagoda in Chiang Rai. The 88-metre high brick pagoda is in the bell shape of the classic Lanna style. The stupa was built in circa 1290 by King Saen Phu, the 3rd king of the Lanna kingdom.

 

Wat Pa Sak

Wat Pa Sak is located approximately one kilometer west of Chiang Saen. With ornamental stucco motifs, the temple’s chedi, which is 12.5 meters tall with a base of 8 meters wide, is regarded as one of the most beautiful Lanna-style structures in northern Thailand.

 

Wat Phra That Chom Kitti

This temple ruin, situated on a hilltop a few kilometers north of Wat Pa Sak, has a pagoda containing a Buddha relic. While on the hilltop, visitors can enjoy a good view of Chiang Saen and the Mekong River.

 

Chiang Saen Lake

It is located 5 kilometres south of Chiang Saen along Highway 1016. This vast, scenic lake is home to large flock of migratory waterfowls which they are usually seen around November to February. Accommodations are available.

 

Golden Triangle

Located 9 km to the north of Chiang Saen town is this world-famous place where the borders of Thailand, Myanmar and Laos meet at the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong Rivers.

The Golden Triangle was formerly known as the world’s major producer of opium, which was later improved thanks to the works of the Royal Projects. Now the area is peaceful and dotted with hill tribe villages, ancient temples and markets.

Boats services are available to enjoy the view upstream of the Golden Triangle and to cruise downstream to Chiang Khong. The journey to the Golden Triangle would take about 40 minutes and 1 hour is required to travel to Chiang Khong. Hotels and guesthouses are available as well as restaurants and souvenirs shops.

 

Phra That Doi Pu Khao

This riverside temple was presumably built in the middle of the 8th century. It is located on a hill near Sop Ruak town just before the Golden Triangle. It offers spectacular views of the river, mountains, and Golden Triangle.

 

The Hall of Opium, Golden Triangle Park

Location : 10 km north of Chiang Saen Town (near the Golden Triangle)

The Hall of Opium Museum is a combination of multimedia and exhibition to make learning more fun. Aiming to educate people about opium, this exhibition portrays every angle of the story, starting from the history of the Golden Triangle, the origin of opium, the opium war, opium warlords, drug smugglers, opium effects, the battle against opium and poppy growing, to rehabilitation of living conditions of the people who live in the area of the Golden Triangle, the former worldwide infamous drug trading zone.

The exhibition features the following zones :

  • Entrance Zone: A 137-meter-long dark tunnel towards an artificial poppy field in the Hall Zone.
  • Hall Zone: An artificial poppy field, where you can learn about various species of poppy flowers.
  • Opium in Siam Zone: A mock-up of a Chinese tea house in Yaowarat where people came to smoke opium and the story about the origin of opium in Siam.
  • Magic Medicine Zone: This zone shows science behinds the development of morphine and heroin.
  • Opium Effects Zone: This zone shows the adverse impact of drugs and drug addiction on individuals and the society.

Opening Hours : 08.30-16.00 hrs. / Tuesday - Sunday

Admission fee Thais - 200 baht / Foreigners - 300 baht

For more information, please contact Hall of Opium Tel: +66 (0) 5378 4444 to 6

Main Menu