Phat Kaphrao (Meat or Seafood Fried with Sweet Basils)
Ranking fourth among the ten Thai dishes ordered most frequently by foreigners, Phat Kaphrao can have any kind of meat as its main ingredient. But the Thais populary choose pork or chicken.
The recipe to be presented to you is shrimps fried with sweet basils. You can substitute another type of meat for shrimps as you like.
- 1 cup of shelled shrimps
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1-3 small chillies, thinly sliced
- A handful of basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons of hot water
- Half a lime, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to cook
- Heat the oil in a frying-pan.
- Stir-fry the shallots and garlics.
- Add the chillies, fish sauce and shrimps. Stir for 2 minutes before pouring the hot water, cover and simmer for a few minutes.
- Uncover the pan and season with lime juice and sugar.
- Stir another 30 seconds before adding the basil leaves.
- Flavour with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and ready to be served with boiled rice.