Phuket island is located in the tropical zone off the west coast of the southern part of Thailand in the Andaman Sea and is connected to Phang-nga province by Sarasin Bridge and Thep Krasattri Bridge. It is 862 km. away from Bangkok by road and one hour and 20 minutes by air.
Phuket is the largest island of Thailand but the second smallest province in area (the smallest being Samut Songkhram). The main island itself has an area of about 539 sq.km., about the same size as Singapore. The total land area of the province, including 39 small nearby islets, is about 570 sq.km.
There are only two seasons in a year -- the rainy season from May to October and the hot season from November to April. September and October are the wettest months. The best period is from November through February. But whatever the season, there is always a breeze blowing. The average temperatures range between 23°C and 33°C.
70% of the area are mountains stretching from north to south, while the other 30% are plains, mainly in the central and and eastern parts of the island. There is no important river but a total of 9 brooks and creeks. The west coast are stretches of white sandy beaches which are major tourist developments.
The only island province of the country, Phuket is divided into 3 administrative units called amphoe (county) -- Amphoe Muang, Thalang and Kathu.
Central Thai is the official language and used in business and tourism areas. People in general use southern Thai dialect, which sounds more succinct and is spoken faster than the central Thai. English is understood in tourist areas.
The most important products of Phuket are marine products, latex, rubber, fuel oil and frozen fish.
Internet cafes are ubiquitous and hotels often have wi-fi for guests.