By Red Ribbon
When thinking about shopping in Bangkok, there is no way more enjoyable to do it than the Thai way -- at outdoor markets. This way you will experience the people's lifestyles amidst the hustle and bustle of urbanization, which will add colour to your stay in this country. Chatuchak (Jatujak) Weekend Market or commonly called JJ Market on Phahonyothin Road in Bangkok, with a total area of 70 rais or 28 acres, is the place we recommend you to spend your leisure time in.
Since 1982, Chatuchak Weekend Market has gained popularity among the Bangkok residents and foreign visitors alike.
Thousands of people come here on weekends to view and buy many kinds of goods, almost anything you can imagine, ranging from clothes to handicrafts, from garden plants to pets, and from utensils to antiques. For shopping lovers, this is one of the best places not only to try out your bargaining skills but also to get some exotic goods whether for yourself or your home.
The main part of Chatuchak is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Additionally, the plant section is open on Wednesdays and Thursdays (6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.) as well.
Moreover, on Fridays, you will find wholesale shops ready to welcome you from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On Fridays, cars are allowed in JJ but not on Saturdays and Sundays.
Up to the present time, there are 27 sections in Chatuchak Weekend Market, to name a few, clothing and accessories, handicraft products, leatherware, household decorative items, pets and pet-related products, and plants and gardening tools. Chatuchak is very dynamic.
That's why it is difficult to set the place in good order. However, below are details of items sold in Chatuchak.
Clothing & Accessories Zone : 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23
Handicraft Products Zone : 8, 11, 13, 15, 27
Ceramics & Pottery Zone : 7, 15, 17, 19, 25
Art & Galleries Zone : 5, 7
Food & Beverages Zone : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 20, 21, 26
Plants & Gardening Tools Zone : 3, 4
Decorations & Furniture Zone : 2, 3, 7, 8, 10, 14, 23, 24, 25
Pet & Accessories Zone : 9, 11, 13, 15, 17
Books Zone : 1, 27
Antique & Collectibles Zone : 1, 25, 26
Miscellaneous & Used Clothing Zone : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 22, 23, 25, 26
Tips for Shoppers
- Beware of your belongings. Ladies, keep your purse in front of you, not beside or at the back.
- Don't be afraid that you're being too cheap in your dealing. If the vendors are kind of angry with you, just walk away. Chances are they will call you back to resume bargaining.
- Please bear in mind that if a seller agrees to your price then the deal is done. Reneging on an agreement is very rude.
- Drink sufficient water as it will be really hot during the day. You are advised to put on a hat and don't forget to apply sunblock.
- If you come across something you like, buy it immediately. It is hardly possible for you to be able to walk back to buy it after observing the whole sections of this weekend market.
How to get there
It is very convenient to reach Chatuchak (see Map of Bangkok) as there are ordinary buses, air-conditioned buses, micro buses, skytrain (BTS, Mo Chit Station) and metro (MRT, Kamphaengphet Station) passing this weekend market. If you are in Bangkok downtown, you can start at the Victory Monument as there are a lot of buses you can take to JJ. Also, you can catch a BTS there.
For the correct pronunciation of romanized Thai words, see Romanization System of the Thai Language.